Change The Play Inc is an Educational/Charitable 501(c)(3) organization that utilizes interest areas to create programming for at-risk youth focusing on Education, Healthy Lifestyle Choices, and Identity.
Through teaching Total Wellness, the Arts, and promoting alternative career options in sports, music, and entertainment – other than being on the field, court, or stage – we endeavor to help young people push past their internal boundaries and become leaders and positive agents for change in their communities.
How Do We Accomplish our Goals?
Our programming is intended to serve as a foundational platform upon which youths can grow mentally and morally. We wish to reach, teach, feed, mentor and motivate our students through sports, music, entertainment, fashion and other activities of interest.
By providing encouragement, guidance, and a collaborative learning space we aim to help students develop quality leadership skills, strength of character, and high sense of self-efficacy.
We work to accomplish our vision through Directed Learning Activities
Expand students’ knowledge about, appreciation of, and ability to creatively engage the music, film, theatre, and plastic arts (i.e. painting, sculpture, architecture) of diverse cultures (ethnicities, generations, regions, socio-economic status, etc…)
Health & Wellness
Educate students about and motivate them to practice healthy lifestyle habits (good eating, exercise, etc)
Enrichment & Critical Thinking
Enhance students’ ability to make sense of the world around them (in other words develop accurate and action oriented standpoints) by challenging them with issue based projects designed to bolster their analytical and collaborative problem solving skills.
- Real Life Group Projects
- Puzzles / Word Problems
- Journaling & Self-Reflection
Incorporated into all program areas, the development of students’ awareness of the formal/informal technical and social knowledge, skills and mindsets necessary to pursue and maintain successful careers in the 21st century. They will be lean about alternative career options in sports, music, & entertainment… Other than being on the field, court, or stage.
- Using Media
- Career Options
- Dress for Success
- Computer Skills
Through sports and the arts, we connect with the castaway and forgotten - Utilizing youth's passions to change their lives.
Rafael Rosario "DJ LUS"
Directors & Consultants
- Jason Teal - President, CEO, Executive Director - Media, Marketing, Entertainment, & Sales Executive providing business development and cause marketing programs to clients. NAACP Branch President, NAACP State Economic Chairman, Consultant for CT State Conference of NAACP, Board of Directors for Mid State Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors for My City Kitchen.
- Evelyn Teal - Education Director - Over 40 Years in Education, Double Masters in Reading & Gifted Education, Elementary School Teacher, 6th Grade Language Arts Teacher, Technology Director - where she served as consultant training teachers how to use technology in classroom, Education Specialist - Consultant on Education for teachers, Best Program - helped Para-Professionals with certification, NAACP & Board of Education recruited her due to lack of Black teachers in the city in the 70s.
- Jamel Riddle - All-Big East Football player for Syracuse, Youth Basketball coach, High School & Youth Football coach, licensed basketball referee, Corrections Officer.
- Rafael Rasorio “DJ Lus” - Music Director - DJ on Boston Radio & Music Choice, also teaches music to At Risk Youths at Movement City as well as The Boy’s & Girls Club in his hometown of Lawrence, Ma.
- Chris Harris, Ph.D. - PHD University of Miami, M.T.S Cornell Univ, Undergraduate Rutgers Univ. Former Campus Director @ Citizens Schools New Brunswick - after school program for Middle School students in urban areas focusing on Apprenticeship Learning, Served in an Advisory Capacity in Programming & Hiring for WEB Dubois Scholars Institute @ Princeton Univ - Provides learning experiences to high achieving Latino & Black High School Students that revolves around the youth’s scholar activism to create change agents. Currently Com Professor @ Nevada State College where he’s building the Communications Department.
- Michael Bivins - Music & Entertainment Mogul with over 30 years of experience in the industry. Founding member of New Edition & Bel Biv Devoe (BBD), discovered Boys II Men, one of the most successful R&B Groups in the world. Known for arguable one of the greatest club records of all-time, Poison. Recipient of the Soul Train Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Edward Waters - 2 year football starter @ Dean College, Licensed High School Football Coach, Corrections Officer.
- Steve Ross - Nutritional Director - Connecticut Culinary Institute Graduate, Chef / Owner of Smokin Skillet restaurant, Dixwell Ave. in Hamden.
- Brandon Mathews - Founding partner of ShowOff Marketing and KillerBoomBox.com. ShowOff is an aggressive street marketing and record promotions company. Some of ShowOff’s current and past client are: Atlantic Records, Columbia Records, Universal, Capitol, G-Unit, Sony, Koch, Lacoste, Ray Ban, Swedish Fish. KillerBoomBox is a multi-media publishing brand, that focuses on documenting the lifestyle of multi-cultural youth from an entertaining and intelligent perspective.
- Alisa Kai Bowens - is the Dance Director and Artist Development Liaison at Alisa's House of Salsa in New Haven Connecticut for 15 years. A classically trained ballet, tap, and jazz dancer who has performed as the lead Back-Up Dancer and Choreographer for many tours. Opened for Grammy-Award Winner Rueben Blades, Tito Nieves, India, and the Spanish Harlem Orchestra. Stared on MTV's Made Series and has introduced programs to over 100 schools in Connecticut.
Your donations are what make our work possible.
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on news and events
74 Cambridge St Meriden CT 06450
To learn more how you can get involved Fill out the contact form if you would like to get involved or if your child is interested in enrolling. Positivity, Volunteers, Sponsors, & ideas are welcome.